The words of Iron&Wine's Naked As We Came, which, as happenstance would have it greeted me as Google's first choice on my Video Bar (which you can access at the bottom of the page), and thoughts of Frank crept willy nilly into my head . . . I never thought that he'd die alone . . .
Ali Saad , my erstwhile shrink once asked me, when I was sharing my regret, my anger that I had not been with my father when he died, "Don't we all die alone?" but I guess I've always had an inflated idea of my own importance or power, as it were: if I couldn't actually stave off The Grim Reaper, I could ease my loved one's passage. Also if I was there for that pivotal moment maybe a glimpse of what is to come would be vouchsafed to me.
"Naked As We Came"
She says "wake up, it's no use pretending"
I'll keep stealing, breathing her.
Birds are leaving over autumn's ending
One of us will die inside these arms
Eyes wide open, naked as we came
One will spread our ashes 'round the yard
She says "If I leave before you, darling
Don't you waste me in the ground"
I lay smiling like our sleeping children
One of us will die inside these arms
Eyes wide open, naked as we came
One will spread our ashes round the yard
She says "wake up, it's no use pretending"
I'll keep stealing, breathing her.
Birds are leaving over autumn's ending
One of us will die inside these arms
Eyes wide open, naked as we came
One will spread our ashes 'round the yard
She says "If I leave before you, darling
Don't you waste me in the ground"
I lay smiling like our sleeping children
One of us will die inside these arms
Eyes wide open, naked as we came
One will spread our ashes round the yard
No comments:
Post a Comment